get free quote
click here now!
Home Renovation: 9 Common Mistakes To Avoid
13 May, 2016

Renovating your home can be a fun and exciting experience. But, it can also be very stressful. Before engaging in any home renovation project, it is vital to acquire some basic knowledge on what to do and what to avoid during the project. This knowledge will not only save you a great deal of stress, but will also save you a lot of time and money.

If you are planning to renovate your home, here are a few common mistakes to avoid.

1. Choosing popular trends over quality

It is very tempting to go for popular trends for your home designs at the expense of quality. However, it is important to note that these trends come and go. And, as fast as the trends go, so does their quality. A lot of the popular trends are made quickly and with poor quality materials in order to meet the growing demand. In fact, most manufacturers never focus on quality as they want to cash in quick bucks for their products. Therefore, always choose quality over trends.

2. Buying cheap materials

One mistake that people make when doing home renovation is buying cheap materials to save a few bucks. But, you will always get what you pay for. Although the materials might look okay at first, they will soon start falling apart. So, always invest in high quality materials. If you are too tight on your budget, you should do some research and find out the best quality materials available within your budget.

3. Taking bad measurements

Every inch in your space counts when it comes to home renovation. Therefore, before attempting to do anything in your home, make sure all measurements are right and accurate. If you are not sure about how to measure your space, don’t hesitate to ask for help. One error when taking the measurements can derail a huge chunk of your project.

4. Disregarding the little things

We are not only talking about the space planning issues, doorknobs or cabinet handles, we are talking about the little things that are mostly overlooked and tend to add up. Depending on your project, these little things can include delivery charges, sales taxes, engineering cost, shipping charges, permit fees and so on. If they are disregarded, these small charges can add up to thousands of dollars in debt which will be hectic to pay off. When doing renovation jobs, fix the small issues on time to avoid future inconveniences.

ID Firm: Design 4 Space

5. Taking more than you can handle

Yes, some renovation DIY jobs are simple and easy to do. However, there are some renovation jobs that require special skills and experience to perform. Taking these jobs might overwhelm you, or you might end up damaging your home. In such a situation, it is only wise to hire experienced contractors to do the job.

6. Not having a budget

Renovation doesn’t come cheap, and it is important to be financially prepared. It is an added advantage to come up with a realistic budget. If you are not too sure about your budget, talk to your contractor and request him or her for a quote of the entire project. The quote should capture the cost of the materials and the labour cost.

ID Firm: Brilliant Design Works

7. Not having a contingency fund

If there is one rule about home renovation, it is that things will go wrong. And, when they go wrong, adjustments have to be made or else everything comes to a halt. Even if your budget was 99 percent accurate, the remaining 1% will cost you something. With a contingency fund, you shall be financially prepared for any eventuality.

8. Creating thematic rooms for your kids

Kids grow up fast, and what they like today is probably what they will hate tomorrow. When renovating your kid’s room, make sure that the décor stays relevant to his or her age. Alternatively, you can make the room easier to modify. You can use wallpapers that are not only cheaper, but are also easier to install and uninstall.

ID Firm: The Interior Place

9. Using wrong tools

One of the biggest mistakes you can make in home renovation is using the wrong tools. This ensures that your job is shoddy. Furthermore, it can even damage expensive materials forcing you to buy the materials all over again. Thus, always use the right tool for the right job.

Well, those are the top 9 common mistakes to avoid while renovating your home. If you are planning for home renovation, feel free to request FREE renovation quotes from Singapore’s most recommended renovation firms.

Got a design in mind?
Let us match you up with our interior designers!
get free quotes